mardi 9 avril 2013

History junkie - Poisson en croûte

The biggest part of my time is not spent in front of the stove, but in my almost-a-workshop, where I work with ink, paper, fabric and thread - not always together. One of "my" areas is historical costuming, more specifically (yes, I am very specialized... in a number of various domains) the late victorian to early edwardian era, roughly 1870 to 1900. On the other hand, I love books, especially old books. And images, I love images (well, I am a graphic artist after all). Which leads me to my point : I collect bound editions of late nineteenth century fashion magazines.
In case you would be wondering what this has to do with this blog, just open a modern "women's" magazine. browse the pages at the end. I bet you will find a cooking column. And guess what ? It was exactly the same back then.
The recipes are a weird mix to our modern concept of cooking - you will find endeavors most of us find too time-consuming to consider (canning, I'm looking at you), and very basic things. This busy mom is more inclined to try out the latest - as soon as it's not pizza with pasta on it (yes, I found the recipe for this. Carbs on top of carbs topped with carbs. No actual tomatoes included). I am only adventurous to a certain point. This one, I tried out once, and to is now a staple recipe - with a few modern conveniences. It works well with all the fishes I have tried - I would just avoid the small filets like red mullet.

Poisson en croûtePoisson en croûte - Fish in a crust
2 or 3 large fish filets - you need enough of them to almost fill your gratin dish.
1fennel bulb
1 small onion
1 cup breadcrumbs
parsley

Preheat your oven at 360°F. Grease your gratin dish. Place the fish filets at the bottom of the dish.
Place the fennel, rinsed and roughly diced, the peeled onion cut in four, the breadcrumbs (or stale bread if you don't have breadcrumbs ready) and the parsley in your food processor's bowl and process until no big lumps remain. Spread the mixture over the fish.
Bake until the crust is golden brown.

You can choose your own herbs and veggies mix to add to the crust, of course.
I usually have either stale bread at hand, when it starts to pile up too much and I don't feel like making brad pudding I just process it into crumbs and store them in an airtight container - ready to use, free breadcrumbs, and no waste !

1 commentaire:

  1. Homemade breadcrumbs rule. This looks like the kind of simple recipe I like - although I'd probably go for some different herbs, just based on what I have at hand.

    RépondreSupprimer